Midwives Deliver – Article on the Truth about Midwives vs Medical Interventions in the U.S.A.
Did You Know?
The United States has one of the highest infant and maternal mortality rates among industrialized nations.
The chances are that 1 out of 3 women who give birth in a hospital in the United States will undergo a C-Section.
The vast majority of women in the United States give birth in the Hospital with an OB or Certified Nurse Midwife.
The vast majority of European women give birth at home or at a Birth Center with a Professional Midwife.
The maternal mortality rate is lower among European birthing mothers than it is for American.
Which one of the following Births would You Choose? Click on the links to view the videos.
International Cesarean Awareness Network
Cesarean Rates for Hospitals in Lee County Florida
|County||AHCA Number||Hospital Name||2009 Total Cesareans||2009 Total Deliveries||2009 Cesarean Rate|
|Lee||100244||Cape Coral Hospital||496||1,412||35.1%|
|Lee||111522||Gulf Coast Hospital||137||470||29.1%|
|Lee||120005||Healthpark Medical Center||1,445||3,467||41.7%|
|Lee||100220||Southwest Florida Regional Med Ctr||403||1,409||28.6%|
Did you know?
- The artificial inducement rate in the United States is higher than 20%?
Risks of Artificial Inducement of Labour
- Inducing and Augmenting Labour: premature baby, uterine rupture, amniotic fluid embolism, unnaturally strong contractions, fetal distress, continuous fetal monitoring, continuous IV, increased risk of infection, may affect baby’s heart rate, cord prolapse, increases the need for analgesics and/or epidural, may increase the need for a cesarean
Methods: Stripping the membranes, Cervical ripening, Pitocin, AROM (Artificial Rupture of Membranes)
Did You Know?
Pitocin is an off-label drug ( not approved by FDA) for Labor and Delivery. Pitocin was approved by the FDA for treatment of postpartum hemorrhage, not for inducement of labor because of the potential risks involved that are mentioned above. Pitocin is to be used only if inducement is necessary and the risks of its use outweigh the risks of spontaneous labor.
DID YOU KNOW?
Analgesics – Pain Medication
- All analgesics are systematic medications that pass through the placenta into your baby’s bloodstream.
Examples: (Stadol, Fentanyl, Nubain, and Morphine)
- Does not provide total pain relief.
- May cause drowsiness, disorientation, itching, or nausea.
- May slow breathing or lower blood pressure.
- May slow labor if taken too early.
- May cause the baby to be sleepy and have difficulty sucking at first.
- May temporarily slow the baby’s breathing and reflexes if taken within 1-3 hours of birth.
- FDA: Reports of neurological damage to newborn
- May cause fussiness and irritability in the newborn for the first six weeks.
- Long term effects of drugs entering the baby’s system are not known.
Reference: FDA and See What You Read- Web-Enhanced Parent Guides – Chidbirth – Publisher: Birth and Parenting Injoy Videos p.39
- The Myth of a Safer Hospital Birth for Low-Risk Pregnancies? (zedie.wordpress.com)
- The Mommy Wars Continue: Birth Choices As Battle Zone (hercircleezine.com)
- Aetna Urges Moms to Avoid Cesareans Births to Reduce Risk – Bloomberg (bloomberg.com)
Pingback: Induced Labor: 41 Weeks Gestation | Doula Faith
In the times that I have attended births at Cape Coral Hospital, I have found support among the nursing staff for both women who want to birth naturally and those who need medical intervention. They treat both women the same and give them their support and right to participate in the decision making process during labor and delivery.
There are nurses at Cape Coral Hospital who are trained as professional Doulas and will support a mother’s choice in using natural birthing methods. I’ve had wonderful experiences here with both births- natural and with necessary medical interventions.
I believe Baby Love Birthing Center is the place to go to have your natural childbirth with nurturing women who are highly trained as nurses, midwives and doulas, who respect the dignity and the sanctity of a woman’s right to birth naturally.
If you want a natural birth, there’s no doubt, you will find it there.
Mary Ahlborn CD(DONA)